Count Guidelines for Teaching Numeracy
This Guide was originally developed by COUNT for the GDE but has since has been updated by COUNT in collaboration with SAIDE, and is now available as an OER. It provides Grade 1, 2 and 3 educators with:
- A progression of appropriate activities to build the maths knowledge and skills a Foundation Phase learner needs to have in each grade from grades 1-3;
- Ideas and examples of interesting practice activities for teachers to use to consolidate and extend their learners’ understanding;
- Suggestions for suitable interventions, support and challenges to meet the needs of both struggling learners and for those who are ready to move ahead;
- Examples of resources at the end of each section that teachers can use for each of the five content areas as well as templates of resources that can be copied for use in the classroom.
- A discussion of the approach to learning and teaching mathematics that we adopt in this programme.
You will note there are no direct links to The South African CAPS curriculum as the Guide is intended as a resource for any educator in whatever country he/she may be located. The content areas covered are universal so educators can easily make the links for themselves with the national curriculum their country subscribes to.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD.